Gainesville Ramblings

This is a blog, and thus it barely qualifies as writing, let alone formal writing, so I'd not let it bother you.

Sunday, April 13, 2008

One more week down...

This past week passed really very quickly, and it had its up and downs.

The ups was basically the USS Buttercup. Its a leak simulator, where you learn how to do damage control on a ship. But really, its an excuse to dive into a room filled with water up to our necks, and try to hammer large pieces of wood in place so the water stops. It was a lot of fun.

Actually, there were two drills, and the first time wasn't a whole lot of fun, if only because I was 'On Site Leader,' so I was in charge of everyone. This is with about 1 hour of training, so I had no idea what I was doing. And when I forgot to step on the hoses running around the deck, and stepped over it, the guy running the simulation declared I was dead.

The second drill was alot more fun, because I got to actually go into the water and try to fix something. Now that was fun.

As for the rest of the week, it was really bipolar. One day would be horrible, because our DI was pissed at our drill practice. The next was great, because our 6th week Personal Inspection went really really well. And then Friday sucked, because it was a day a class graduated, and the DIs like beating thier classes on graduation day, to remind them they haven't graduated yet. And then Saturday was great, because our DI was really happy with our drill practice. So, basically, it was really topsy turvy, and I have very little reference to know what is actually going on.

As for this upcoming week, we have drill comp on Wednesday. The good thing about that is that Drill will finally, finally, be over. I'm getting sick and tired of drill, especially this past week, when we've been doing it for at least two or three hours a day. And then a test in 'Movement Boards' which isn't that hard, just something that's completely foreign, so alot of people are freaking out.

But the good news is this: I have 6 more weeks of OCS. 2 weeks of the same old crap. 2 weeks of slightly less crap, in nicer quarters (King Hall here I come!) where I'm allowed my cell phone and laptops and food and to go to the commisary. And then 2 more weeks where I run the place and can leave base. This is the home stretch. I can make it.

I miss talking and hearing from all of you. I can't wait to catch up with everyone, and find out how your life has been going. But until then, try to survive without me. Yeah, I know its hard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home