Gainesville Ramblings

This is a blog, and thus it barely qualifies as writing, let alone formal writing, so I'd not let it bother you.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Blogs you should be reading.

I don't read newspapers. I don't watch the news. What little TV I watch usually consists of either dramas or DVDs (or tv-links.co.uk. If you are familiar with that website, you should be).

I get almost all my information from Blogs. I know this is very 21st century of me, and rather cliche, but really, thats where all the good information is. And so, as a valuable resource to my 5 readers, here are my political blog recommendations for 2007 (warning: these blogs contain opinions you may not agree with. Heck, I don't agree with all of them. But reading about what other people are thinking is a good thing, so get off your damn high horse):

In the realm of politics, you can't get much better than the line-up that The Atlantic magazine has online. My favorite, and probably the best known, is Andrew Sullivan, who has an interesting pedigree. He's English (but rarely writes about English politics), he's conservative (little 'c' conservative, more along the lines of what were called 'liberals' in the late 1700's), and Catholic. Oh yeah, and gay. He supported Bush at first, supported the war in Iraq, and now is very very against them both. Also, he's an amazingly good writer. If you like very well thought out politics, where even if you don't agree with him (and I don't on alot), you can at least apprecaite his viewpoint, then read his blog often. Its updated all the time.

Doesn't this look like a gay Catholic conservative that you can trust?

Also on the Atlantic site is Matthew Yglesias. I have no idea how to pronounce that last name either. This guy is an unabashed liberal, a huge fan of debate, and seems to get around lot and report from various places where things are happening (this week, he's at the UN). Actually, one of Andrew Sullivan's running features is the 'Yglesias Award,' where he posts quotes by people around politics that have said something that is not just right, but very well said. Also, Matt appears to have a good sense of humor and good taste in music, so that always helps.

Finally, rounding out my usual three spots is the Swampland. Run by Ana Marie Cox, best known for starting the Wonkette political-satire/making fun of everything in Washington website, its filled with posts by Time's political writers, who are very very good at what they do. Also, Cox is pretty funny, in a very sarcastic way. Its the best place I've found to get the purely political news in a very convenient format. Commentary is there, but its pretty straight forward and usually filled with context, something that is often missing from other blogs.

I read other blogs, like the DailyKos, the European and United States blogs from the Economist, and Talking Points Memo less often, but they're good sources too (OK, Kos not so much. But its good to know what the people even left of me are demanding). Next time, I'll be talking about my favorite type of blog: College Football.

Until then, I remain,
Matt McKenzie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home