Gainesville Ramblings

This is a blog, and thus it barely qualifies as writing, let alone formal writing, so I'd not let it bother you.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Dig It

Walking home from the bus stop, I kept thinking to myself, "Man, i really want to get home and write in my blog." I know, pretty pathetic.

It figures after complaining about life not being interesting yesterday, I have an eventful day.

It started with my first staff conference. Nothing in the conference applied to me, being that I'm the lowest of the low in the office, but I still found it useful. I didn't really know what all the people in my office do on a day to day basis. I still don't completely, but an image is starting to form.

When I walked into the conference room, I was told that I would have to sing, as I was the new guy. I warned everyone that they probably didn't want me to attempt to sing if they valued their eardrums or sanity, but they insisted. So I started on my only karaoke song: Boy Named Sue. After going through the first verse and getting applauded, I was told that I was the only person who actually sang. Of course. But I've always felt good after making an ass of myself, so the rest of the day was good too.

Other good things: I finally finished a project that I had been working on for two weeks. I told Monya as I handed it to her, "Here it is. Burn it. Shred it. Whatever. I just don't want to see it again."

The new library opened today, and Jess and I went on a tour during a lunch break. Its very very nice. I did notice that there was a distinct lack of books, as most of the space was devoted to study and research space. I don't know if I just didn't see everything, but it was a bit disappointing not to see books everywhere. I'm sure that everyone who is actually a student will appreciate the study space though.

I wrote in an earlier post that I was going to talk to Jane (my boss) about me getting more pay for more work. I finally broached the subject today, and I think it went well. After she had come into my office (yes, I have my own office) and told me what a good job I'm doing, I asked if she was still hiring a receptionist. She responded, "We're still thinking about that. But it looks like no matter what, it will be beneficial to you." As I was about to leave for the day, she asked me to stop in her office tomorrow and talk about a few things. Since I have a guilt complex, I immediately thought she was going to chew me out. But thinking about it more, she wouldn't have told me about the wonderful job I'm doing if she had problems. So it all looks up.

In other work related news: My name is now on the directory board, which means I'm now officially working there. Also, I discovered that my phone has a headset, which not only means I look incredibly nerdy while working, but I constantly look busy. Always a bonus.

And finally, a transcript of a phone conversation with David, who runs the office:

Me: Good afternoon, Office of Technology Licensing.
David (in very bad redneck accent): Yeah. I wanna get some technology.
Me: Well, you're in luck sir, as we have lots of technology just lying around.
David: How much for the technology?
Me: Well, its ten dollars per technology, but its four for $35. That's a great deal.

I think it’s safe to say I like my job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home